How do I notify the IRS my adress has changed?

These are the ways to notify the IRS of a change of address so that it does not affect your taxes and tax returns.


If you have recently moved, it is important to notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of your new address to ensure that you receive any tax refunds or correspondence without delay. Here are several recommended methods  to inform the IRS about your address change:

Using IRS Forms

Form 8822

You can complete and submit Form 8822, Change of Address, to notify the IRS of your new address. This form is used for individual, gift, estate, or generation-skipping transfer tax returns.

Form 8822-B

For business-related address changes, you should use Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business.

Both forms can be downloaded from the IRS website and should be mailed to the address specified on the forms.

When filing your tax return

If you change your address before filing your tax return, simply enter your new address on the return. When your return is processed, the IRS will update their records with your new address.

Written statement

You can also send a signed written statement to the IRS with the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Your old and new addresses
  • Your Social Security number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Your signature

If you filed a joint return, both you and your spouse should provide your names, SSNs, new address, and signatures. Mail your written statement to the address where you filed your last return. In a case where you and your spouse now live separately, the both of you would need to notify the IRS of your new addresses. If you are filing to change an address on behalf of a taxpayer, you would need a copy of the power of attorney or Form 2848 and a Declaration of Representation.

Oral notification

You can notify the IRS of your address change by calling them or visiting an IRS office in person. You will need to verify your identity by providing your full name, old and new addresses, and SSN, ITIN, or EIN. The IRS may request additional information to verify your identity.

Notifying the USPS

Although notifying the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) of your address change may also update your address of record with the IRS, it is still recommended to directly inform the IRS to ensure that all correspondence reaches you. Not all post offices forward government checks, so direct notification is crucial.

For changes of address relating to an employment tax return, the IRS normally issues confirmation notices (Notices 148A and 148B) for the change to both the new and former address.

Processing time

It can take four to six weeks for the IRS to fully process your change of address request. However, there may be delays, so it is advisable to notify the IRS as soon as possible.

By following these steps, you can ensure that the IRS has your current address and that you receive all necessary communications and refunds without any hassles.

Must read


Promote your business to our audience.

Related News