How can I get a replacement form SSA-1099/1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement?

If you lose your Form SSA-1099 & 1042S, or you didn’t get it in the mail at the end of January, you can request a replacement from the Social Security Administration using any of these methods.


A Form SSA-1099 is a tax form that shows the total amount of benefits received by taxpayers in the previous year. It is sent out by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to beneficiaries of Social Security benefits every January. An SSA-1099 also informs taxpayers on how much Social Security income to report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) when filing tax returns. 

On the other hand, a Form 1042s is sent out by the SSA to non-citizens and non-resident aliens that received or repaid Social Security benefits in the previous year. 

Forms SSA-1099 and 1042S are also called Social Security Benefit Statements. They are important forms for tax filing and documentation. It is easy to get a replacement if you lose yours or if it got damaged. You can also request a replacement if you didn’t get yours in the mail, at the end of January. 

Ways to get a replacement Form SSA-1099/1042S

You can request for a Social Security Benefit Statement for any of the previous 6 years for which benefits were paid, using any of these methods. 

This is the fastest and most recommended method of getting a Social Security Benefit Statement. 

  • Sign into your account 
  • Select the Replace Your Tax Form SSA-1099/1042S button
  • Click on the Choose a year drop-down menu
  • Choose the desired year and click on the Download link 

You can view, print, save, and download Forms SSA-1099 and 1042S of the most recent tax year after every January (from February 1). If you do not have a my Social Security account, you can create one on the SSA website. 

  • Via phone

If you prefer phone assistance, you can reach out to the Social Security Administration by calling  800-772-1213 (or 800-325-0778 if you’re deaf or hard of hearing).

These hotlines are only active from Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm. 

When you make a request via phone, you will be asked to provide some personal information like your Social Security Number, to verify your identity. Your replacement form will should arrive within 10 business days, after you make a request. 

  • In person 

Visit your local Social Security office if you prefer a physical interaction with an agent. However, call ahead and schedule an appointment, to avoid waiting for hours. In-person requests for benefits statements are processed within a few days. 

Getting a replacement Form SSA-1099/1042S from outside the US

Non-US residents receiving Social Security benefits can get their benefits statement online by logging into their my Social Security account with an credential. Alternatively, you can reach out to the Federal Benefits Unit nearest to you, especially if you encounter problems trying to create a my Social Security account. 

If you do not receive your Replacement Form SSA-1099/1042S after making a request, contact Social Security again using any of the methods listed above.

Must read


Promote your business to our audience.

Related News